Most of us are well aware of the skills we need to learn or items to keep around the house in case of a plumbing emergency. Unfortunately, though, we usually forget to hone those skills until the moment comes in which we need them most. Before you have to deal with a frozen pipe or a flooding bathroom, take some time to ensure you have the skills necessary to handle an emergency.
Let’s take some time now to discuss a few of the tips and tools that are the most important to acquire ahead of an emergency.
Keep Repair Items Handy
Just a few items can help you handle the most common plumbing issues without a full-blown catastrophe. Keep these DIY essentials on hand and you’ll be prepared for most of the common plumbing issues that can spring up within your home:
- Duct tape
- Screwdriver (flat head and Phillips)
- Allen wrenches
- Monkey wrench
- Blind Caps
- Heavy rags or towels to help block water flow
Another very important item that you’ll reach for when the sink springs a leak, is a bucket. Keep one on hand and use it to store your fix-it-all tools and materials so that when you need it in a pinch—you can just grab and go.
Know Your Home
When it comes to plumbing issues, it’s incredibly important to know some key facts about your home:
- Know where the main water shut-off is as well as the isolation valves at each plumbing fixture within the house. Take some time to go around to each sink and toilet and note the location of the shut-off valve for each.
- Know where your electrical panel is so that you can shut off electricity if there is a leak near wiring. This can help prevent secondary emergencies such as electrical shock and fires.
- Know where the water heater is and how to turn it off. Hot water leaks can burn out the heating element—which is an expensive item to fix.
Know your Professionals
It’s also vitally important to keep your plumber’s number close by. If you don’t have a plumber, spend a little time now doing your research to find that reliable professional you can call on should you need to in the future.
If you’re in the San Diego area, you can access a 24/7 emergency line from Ideal Plumbing, Heating, Air, and Electrical at (619) 583-7963.