In such hard economic times, it is pertinent that you use energy-efficient systems that will reduce your energy costs. Being energy-smart is great for the pocketbook, but it doesn’t end there. As people around the globe step into an era of greater eco-awareness, saving energy is a great way to start taking responsibility for our planet.
HVAC experts can help you take advantage of eco-friendly solutions for your heating, air conditioning, ventilation, and electrical needs. HVAC technicians have the expertise and technical know-how to guide you in the right direction toward saving money and protecting the environment.
8 ways HVAC technicians can help you save the environment and your money:
- Advice on Load Reduction: In order for your heating, air conditioning, and ventilation systems to utilize energy efficiently, it is best to reduce the load assigned to a particular system. This is especially advantageous when you are dealing with large buildings, which tend to overload the existing system making it use more energy and consequently incurring more costs. An HVAC technician will recommend that you effectively insulate and ventilate your home, utilize natural light, and assess other practical factors of the building that may contribute to overload.
- Insight for Upgrading Lighting: As a matter of fact, energy utilized by air conditioning, heating, and ventilation systems accounts for 30-40% of most electricity bills. As such, if you make specific effort to have an energy-efficient lighting system, you are bound to reduce electricity bills. Such lighting emits less heat, and having one that actually has light troffers will ensure this excess heat is reused by the heating and air conditioning system.
- New Energy Saving Technology: HVAC technicians can educate you and recommend various normal household items that come with an option for saving power. This includes everything from refrigerators and washing machines to computers and televisions. You might not be aware that the old devices you’re using are wasting significant amounts of energy. Recycle or donate these items to make room for new efficient ones. (Hint: Look for products with the Energy Star seal of approval.)
- Improvement in Ventilation: HVAC experts can ensure that the air both inside and outside your home is balanced, thereby creating effective ventilation. This is done by redesigning the ventilation system to allow air in when you need it and keep it out when you don’t. The biggest savings for your pocketbook in creating an optimum ventilation system comes with the reduced dependence on air conditioning and heating systems. If your ventilation system is sub-par, professionals will make arrangements to have your air flow rates determined and the right drawings installed. Proper ventilation also improves air quality and reduces the likelihood of problems like mold, which are especially important for families with sensitive allergies or asthma.
- Maintenance: HVAC technicians have the experience and know-how to carry out regular maintenance on all aspects of your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems. This will reduce energy costs by improving efficiency. It will also help you avoid having to use more expenses to repair your system when it breaks down as a result of poor maintenance. Remember, HVAC isn’t an install-it-and-forget-it system. Proper maintenance will ensure that everything remains in proper working order and isn’t wasting energy or your money.
- Changing Filters and Checking the Fan: Clean air filters are extremely important, as they ensure that circulating air has minimal allergens, dust, and dirt. Since they are active all the time, they are prone to clogging and damage. If not checked regularly, they’ll end up with inefficiencies, thus leading to higher energy costs. In addition, the fan may loosen due to constant vibration and this only impairs its efficiency. As such, HVAC experts will check and tighten it, and replace it if need be.
- Improving/Enhancing Current Systems: For example, a central air system uses a single thermostat to regulate temperature in many levels of your home. Therefore, a common problem of temperature imbalance may emerge. The professionals can offer ample solutions such as installing an electronic damper, which adds another thermostat for use by other levels of your home. Ultimately, energy efficiency is enhanced. Even when you aren’t able to completely renovate all systems in your home, HVAC technicians can offer practical solutions to improve the ones you have.
- Emergency Support: HVAC technicians get to you fast and repair your system accurately, so that you do not have to deal with extensive energy waste and damage. Additionally, HVAC experts will help you create a preventative plan so you won’t need such emergency services again. Many homeowners might overlook the advantage of quick emergency services, but they are quite a life saver—especially when it comes to home comfort. Knowing you can rely on your technician will give you peace of mind when the inevitable maintenance emergency arises.
Clearly, there are a number of ways HVAC technicians can help you save money, the environment, and headaches. This list is by no means exhaustive—you would be surprised at how many strategies HVAC technicians have up their sleeves to assist you. Never hesitate to ask for extra money-saving tips from your trusted Ideal technician.